Many of our new customers have a very similar question: "How many ID card sizes are there?" Luckily there are three easy answers to that question:
1. CR79 - Dimensions: 2.051” x 3.303" These cards usually have an adhesive back. CR79 cards are most often used for printing and attaching to a clamshell proximity card. They can also be used for printing labels and tags. If you want to print on CR79-sized cards, it's very important to make sure your ID card printer is capable of printing them. They are slightly smaller than the CR80 standard ID card size and are usually 10-mil thick.
2. CR80 - Dimensions: 2.125” x 3.375" In ID card printing, CR80 is considered the standard ID card size (the same size as a credit card). Nearly every ID card printer accepts this card size, making it the ideal choice for all card printers. CR80-sized cards are also available in the more durable composite cards PVC-PET cards (made of 60% PVC and 40% PET plastic), magnetic stripe cards, earth-friendly biodegradable cards, and rewritable cards with a thermal printing.
- 10 Mil - professional business cards
- 13 Mil - gym membership cards
- 20 Mil - mass transit cards or bus passes
- 30 Mil - access control or corporate ID cards
- 55 Mil - luggage tags or name tag
3. CR100 - Dimensions: 2.63” x 3.88"
The CR100 format is 42% larger than CR80 cards, so it’s easy to see these cards from a distance and difficult to conceal them in a wallet or billfold. Often referred to as “military-sized” or “oversized” cards, the CR100 size is commonly referred to as "CR100.030" or "CR10030" cards.
CR100 cards are the optimal size for venues where card information is clearly visible like trade shows, music concerts, parking passes, conventions, or events. It’s also important to note that the card’s unique size limits its printing capabilities, so always make sure your ID card printer can print onto cards of this size.
ID card thickness is measured in “mils.” Although it is not a metric measurement, the term “mil” is equal to 0.001 inches. For example:
- 10 mil = 1/100 of an inch
- 20 mil = 2/100 of an inch
- 30 mil = 3/100 of an inch
No matter what your ID card needs are, you can always rely on the expertise of our ID Professionals to help you find a blank plastic card that's right for your specific needs. Call us today at (800) 321-4405 or browse our extensive ID card selection now!